Thursday, June 5, 2014

From the Trenches

Potty training. Oh how I loathe you. It seriously has to be one of the most disgusting things about being a mom. No joke. I'd trade vomit over potty training any day. We've been actively potty training Laura for the past month. There have been so many ups and downs. Within a week she had it nailed. Pee, poop, nap and bedtime. Piece of cake. Except not. After doing great she decided to quit pooping in the potty. I tried everything... just underwear, just pants, commando (that totally backfired and she pooped on my porch). We've also tried every form of bribery and prizes known to man. I finally decided to keep her in pull-ups so I didn't have to deal with the poop. Laura was still peeing in the potty - 100% accident free! - so no biggie. Once I decided to stop forcing her to poop in the potty she randomly decided to start pooping in the potty. I was so excited! She went about a week and a half of pooping in the potty. She filled in one poop chart and got the other halfway filled. And then started pooping in her pants again. Seriously kid?! And here's the kicker, after about a month of peeing in the potty with hardly any accidents she starts peeing in her pants! What the heck?! Like she's not even trying to pee in the potty. She just goes in her underwear/pull-up/on the floor and doesn't care.

Now I don't know what to do. Do I stick with it? Laura is stubborn enough to pee/poop when and where she wants. I don't see it as an accident. She just doesn't seem to care right now. Do I give up, put her back in diapers, and lose all the progress we've made? (Though, honestly, at this point there doesn't seem to be much progress.) Should I just wait for her to tell me when she wants to go in the potty? I am so over potty training, but I'm so over having two kids in diapers. Ugh.

Pictures from when Laura filled in her first poop chart! She was so excited and proud! Too bad it didn't last very long.

No comments: