Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Moving, Applying for Graduation, Etc.

Chad and I finally moved into a place this past weekend. It is a basement apartment, although it is more above ground than below. An older couple owns the house; they are really nice and we got a pretty good deal... AND I have the internet! No more riding my bike to the library. :) Everything is finally unpacked and we only have two things left to do: 1) get rid of all the empty boxes in the corner (that will have to wait until the garbage man comes as the trash is already stuffed), and 2) hang up all of our pictures. Several people have asked for pictures of the place, but I'm going to wait to take some until the boxes are gone and the pictures are up... patience, patience.

I also applied for August graduation today! I'm just a little excited! All I have left to do is my student teaching and then I will be 100% completely done with college. Heck yes!

While applying for graduation it was brought to my attention that I am one class short of a minor in Psychology Teaching. Currently I will graduate with a major in Elementary Education and a second major in Psychology, but with only one more class I could also have a minor in Psychology Teaching. Hmm. Here is my dilemma...student teaching is so busy that I would wait to take the class during Spring term which happens to end at the very end of June (like a week or so before the baby is due). If the baby came early I could have some problems finishing the class, but maybe the professor would be willing to work with me. Also, an Elementary Educator license only goes up through 8th grade, but most students don't even start taking psychology classes until 9th or 10th grade. That being said, would it even be useful to have the Psychology Teaching minor? On the other hand, there might come a time where I would use it. You just never know. I should mention that out east many elementary schools actually teach psychology. While I'm not out east right now, there's no saying I won't ever be there. If Chad and I ever found ourselves living out there I might wish I had a minor in Psychology Teaching.

AHH!!! I'm not sure what I should do. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

m said...

Good stuff...good stuff. Here's the deal as I see it: 1.) I don't know that there will ever be that big of a difference in your future if you do pull in the extra minor or not. It would be nice and all since education is so expensive to get a little more minor for your buck, but think you'll have more tuition and books to pay for plus the time put in to the final class.
2.) In terms of the baby...I had my first baby during my last summer class. It was an awesome Women in Lit class that I loved. The second to last week of the class I had Grace (just short of 3 weeks early.) It was a Monday and I was back in class on Wednesday. It worked out fine, but I didn't like having that burden of class on my back. I just wanted to enjoy my baby-- and I obviously wasn't planning on having to balance both school and newborn, I thought I'd have completed the class with plenty of time to spare. Cutting it close like that definitely has its risks- what if you have a difficult delivery and it is painful for you to get about campus and sit in a hard chair for an hour...things like that.
Now that I think about it, I was like 2 classes away from completing a second minor as well. Didn't do it, no big deal to me now. Hope all that was slightly helpful. love m

Nicki said...

Considering you have a dual degree in psych and elementary ed, the psych ed minor would probably be overkill... no one looks at minors anyway. :) (I'm not just saying that... I worked for a professional recruiter this last summer)

Shayla said...

It's true- minors aren't really looked at, at all. Since you already have a major in Psych and an education background it will be really easy for you to become a certified teacher in any grade. If you really want to take the class you should, but it probably won't help you at all career wise.
YAY!!! You have an official graduation date! =)