Monday, September 8, 2008

Despain Family Reunion 2008

About three weeks ago Chad and I went to a family reunion for his dad's side of the family. We went up to Heber Valley Girl's Camp and spent a fantastic four days with family! Some of the activities included going to a park in Heber and eating at Dairy Keen (a fantastic hamburger place for those of you who have never been... they also have amazing shakes!), a challenge course with all sorts of crazy team building activities (one of the activities happened to be climbing up a enormous pole, crossing a 1' wide log, and going down a zip line - something I've never done, but will most definitely do again), family games/competitions, and a fort building contest.

I think the worst part of the experience were the cabins. The cabins themselves were actually very nice, but the beds not so much. There were eight bunk beds in each cabin that were made out of plywood. Imagine sleeping on a hard, flat piece of plywood for three nights. That's right, your back would hurt. On top of that, Chad and I forgot to bring enough padding for two beds so we ended up sharing a twin sized bed for those three nights. As much as I love him, not being able to roll over and stretch was quite annoying. That and elbows in the face aren't much fun either.

I took tons and tons of pictures at the family reunion so I will only post my favorites. Enjoy!

Chad and his brothers sitting in the kiddie train outside of Dairy Keen.

On the paddleboats. After paddling for an hour your legs get pretty tired. Chad splashed some of the yucky water on me. Apparently there was some type of gross algae in the water and we were told to keep all body parts out of it. Thanks dear.

Swinging on a rope at the challenge course. This picture reminds me of Tarzan and Jane. :)

Crossing the 1' wide log right before the zip line. Just look at my face, it says it all. So. Stinkin'. Scary.

Chad wasn't scared at all.

The sweet fort we made. We were given a box of newspaper and roll of tape and this is what we came up with... I think it helped that my father-in-law is an engineer. I'll point out that the drawbridge in the front actually flips down.

Ta da!

All the boys played laser tag each night. They loved it and stayed out until 1am most nights.

Of course there was cotton candy and lots of flavors too! Chad was so sticky when he was done. Yuck.

2 comments:

Jesseca said...

i like how on your top pic you wrote EST 2006. but chads hat seems to think it was 1977. :)

beckster said...

AMBER!!! I was so excited when I found your blog! It looks like you guys had a blast! Love you!